every time i fly out of LAX from terminal 6 i'm confronted with the following choices:
1) will i eat shitty mexican food (el cholo), shitty fast food (mcdonald's), or shitty pizza (CPK)? this time? shitty pizza.
2) will i purchase COMPLEX magazine, and why does it hit me so hard on so many demographic levels?
Sunday, November 30, 2008
every time i fly out of LAX from terminal 6 i'm confronted with the following choices:
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
the 4th out of 5 pavement albums is getting the proper deluxe re-issue treatment.
this is one of my favorite parts of the pavement dvd "slow century."
they have a friend of theirs, an actor, come out posing as a guy from KROQ, the mainstream alternative radio station in LA that spawned the likes of MTV vj's carson daly and kennedy.
i like to think that if i had been at the show and 21 years old, that i would've figured out that it was a joke. but man, who knows.
Monday, November 24, 2008
what's next? samurais and scientology.
"A man who was shot and killed after wielding two samurai swords at the Church of Scientology's Celebrity Centre in Hollywood was from out of state and had recently purchased the swords, coroner's investigators said today."
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
over the weekend besides motley crue, i went to a friend's b-day party.
the air quality in LA has been so bad b/c of the wildfires that you could smell the smoke on saturday and see it covering the entire basin. as in dirty air. it was really gross.
so of course, i went to the b-day party picnic and played basketball like an idiot.
stayed home sick today.
but it got me thinking...it's going to be bear jacket weather soon.
i went to see motley crue on friday night.
suffice to say things got really out of hand.
i have two really good stories from this night, neither of which should be recorded here for posterity.
this is a photo of tommy lee after i pushed my way to 3 deep from the stage.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
i donated money to the defeat of prop 8.
i've spent a good portion of the day looking up people i know to see what they did. especially (1) people who sent me emails begging me to donate (especially to see how much they donated); (2) people who were especially annoying on facebook about this; (3) people i work with; and (4) my gay friends.
here's where you can check for yourself.
i was surprised and not surprised with what i found out.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
all my thoughts on the election in one post:
1. i canvassed in las vegas a few weeks prior to the election and then went back to do poll monitoring on the day of the election. it was alot of fun and it felt good.
2. i haven't made money gambling since me and che trasho made $120 a piece at foxwoods playing blackjack.
3. i lost $120 when i went and canvassed, so when i went back for the election i just set aside that much and went out for a fancy dinner at the daniel boulud brasserie. i felt almost the same afterwards like, "aren't i just as satisfied after a $8 meal at zankou?
4. parents in ohio voted obama. my dad said that mccain's overreliance on joe the plumber proved his inability to connect with the average working man. mccain couldn't speak from experience. glad to say the county i grew up in went obama.
5. the mad greek restaurant in baker, ca on the road to vegas has shitty gyros and shitty fries. i much would've preferred stopping at big boy.
6. i teared up a little during obama's speech.
7. unexpectedly ran into 9 different people at the democrat's victory party at the rio hotel in vegas. it was awesome to run into so many people. esp. since i went there by myself. spent much of the night parading around the hotel chanting and whoo-ing.
8. feel like punching people my age who claim they were "never proud of america until now." total commies.
9. also people under the age of 35 who claimed that they "never thought i'd see it in my lifetime." seriously??? i think it was just a matter of if it would be a black or latino.
10. hillary supporters can all go eat shit and die. michelle 2016!
11. got an impassioned email from a friend about how obama is the same as mccain. from the perspective of a guy who was bought out by corporations and stuff. got a point. i wonder when we'll ever have an effective 3+ party system.
12. stayed at the tropicana for canvassing--it's a dump all around. stayed at the riviera second time. it seems dumpy on the outside, the casino is dumpy, but the rooms are really nice. i'd stay there again.
13. disappointed by prop 8. i blame gavin newsom.
14. donated money to the campaign. got incessant emails from barack, michelle, joe, and david plouffe. at least 2/day asking me to give money or volunteer. glad that's over.
15. but his last email was really sweet, from barack:
I'm about to head to Grant Park to talk to everyone gathered there, but I wanted to write to you first.
We just made history.
And I don't want you to forget how we did it.
You made history every single day during this campaign -- every day you knocked on doors, made a donation, or talked to your family, friends, and neighbors about why you believe it's time for change.
I want to thank all of you who gave your time, talent, and passion to this campaign.
We have a lot of work to do to get our country back on track, and I'll be in touch soon about what comes next.
But I want to be very clear about one thing...
All of this happened because of you.
Monday, November 10, 2008
i forgot that another of my favorite costumes was the lead mutant from TOTAL RECALL:
me? i was brobee of course from the tv show yo gabba gabba (on nick jr.).
my sister made the hat and i glue-gunned felt onto some sweatpants and a sweatshirt.
on halloween not a whole lot of people recognized me, but the day after, yo gabba gabba was doing a live performance at amoeba records, so of course, i had to go.
now as you know, the only awesome thing about yo gabba gabba is this song:
and it's the best song that they do on the show.
so rad that bbc 1 dj scott mills remixed it into a ting tings song:
ANYWAYS...suffice to say i got to amoeba about 15 minutes late, which was just in time to catch brobee hit the stage and for them to sing party in my tummy.
i got tons of pix b/c c+c were there to sell their cd collection overlap post-marriage:
as you can see, i'm out of their target demographic:
me and muno, who apparently is a giant studded condom:
your head just exploded:
me and the woman that plays toodee on the show
i met an animator for the show the night before at a halloween party (randomly) and he was one of the only people that recognized my costume. met some other animators at the gig the next day and befriended some other cast/crew. it was radical!
i also made it onto their website here.
here's the gang posing for photos. there was a line snaking around the entire store (and amoeba is gigantic).
btw: i bought this laundry bag (but in green) at the show. i really needed one. it is so awesome.
reminds me of when i went to liz phair w/ trish and complained the entire time of how lame she has become, how sucky the show was, and then flipped out and bought pins at the merch table coveting them.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
these are kids at the indonesian school that obama attended as a child celebrating the election.
the nytimes has a really nice slideshow of photos of reactions around the world.
my other favorite is this one of americans at the embassy in afghanistan.
Monday, November 3, 2008
for a city full of such skanky girls, i was pretty disappointed by the two halloween parties that i went to this year. it seems like people are on their best behavior nowadays. maybe i'm getting older, who knows?
my personal top five halloweens are probably:
1. nyc, 1999: i was a pavement "folk jam" inspired 2pac leprechaun. long story. probably one of the most amazing and legendary nights i've ever had in nyc.
2. sf, 2002: royal tenenbaums posse. we had all major characters: gene hackman, both wilsons, ben stiller, gwyneth. it was the year the movie came out so only the hipsters recognized us.
3. sf, 2001: i was p. diddy, sm was william bourroughs, and mm was "crazy plastic bag head" we got extremely drunk and roamed market street like no others.
4. nyc, 2000: a weeknight. always hard to get people to come out. but the troops rallied. i was richard hell of television (original lineup) and voidoids fame.
5. nyc, 1997: my first village halloween. my gf at the time dressed as james dean, but she already had short hair, so she just looked like an attractive lesbian. forced me and che trasho to dress up. he dumped fake blood on his face, and i painted whiskers on. crashed a party and did karaoke.
here were my favorite costumes of 2008:
prince adam (he-man alter ego)
by far the most dead-on: guy from the office
my friends were samantha ronson and lindsay lohan and stayed in character the whole time asking me for drugs and humping me. it was both hilarious and annoying.
me? i was brobee. here i am posing w/ st. pauli girl and a sexy nurse.